Give a family member, friend or lover a great treat by giving them a foot massage. A foot massage is a wonderful way to reward and relax your feet, which undergoes a regular beating daily! Here's how to give a great foot massage.
- Water basin, big enough to accommodate two feet
- Warm water
- Essential oils or epsom/bath salts
- Bath soap
- Massage oil or cream
- Relaxing mood music (optional)
- Aromatherapy kit (optional)
- Ask the person you're giving the massage to to get into more comfortable clothes. Ideally, everything should be geared towards giving a good massage and a comfortable experience.
- Wash the feet well using ordinary bath soap and water.
- Give the feet a more thorough cleaning using a foot soak. Put 10 cups of warm water in the water basin and dissolve ten cups of bath salts or essential oils. Leave the feet to soak for five to ten minutes. Pat dry thoroughly.
- Ask the person to lie down.
- Make sure your hands are clean.
- Apply foot massage oil on the entire foot, from the toes extending to the ankles in firm, smooth movements.
- Lightly grasp the foot with the pads of your thumbs on top and the rest of your fingers grasping the bottom part. Run your hand upward in one motion, ending at the ankle.
- Put your thumbs on the ball of one foot and the rest of your fingers on top. Make small circular motions on the area using your thumbs and moving across and downward the whole bottom part of the foot.
- Grasp the upper part of the foot with one hand and use the other to grasp the ankle. Rotate the foot clockwise near the ball of the foot, and then counterclockwise. Do this gently, five times in each direction.
- Grasp the big toe with your thumb and forefinger and slide your fingers up and down, rolling and applying a gentle pressure. Give a squeeze at the tip of the toe before moving on to the smaller ones.
- Grasp the top of the foot with one hand and fist your other hand. Use your knuckles to knead the sole of the foot, moving towards the arch. Apply moderate pressure.
- Repeat Step 8.
- End by stroking the sole and instep softly.
- Once you're done massaging both feet, wipe off any excess massage cream or oil using soft, unhurried motions.
- Put on clean socks to retain moisture on the feet.